Saturday, May 24, 2014

Graduation Season

Life is just funny. Funny. Nathan and I recently attended two high school graduations and whew, if that doesn't just bring back a flood of memories. On top of that, I decided to bring down all my boxes of memorabilia from childhood/high school/college days that have been stored in our attic the past 7 plus years. I've been amused at my younger self as I've flipped through old photos and journals and English papers and cards that I have kept from people along the way. Maybe I'm not too much wiser these days, but I do think I am less full of myself. My senior English papers, although really well written if I do say so myself (in that, it seems kids today don't know the difference between simple words like to, too, and two, or your and you're, for example), are also full of some very strong opinions. Granted, it seems I had to write several "journal" entries to get credit at the end of the semester, and what is a journal other than one's personal thoughts and opinions on various matters (much like a blog).
But I can also clearly remember parts of my senior year in high school. I remember graduation. I remember Littleton Colorado happened shortly before my graduation in May 1999 and security (and our dress code for graduation) were very strict, we had to wear all black under our gowns, I was almost not allowed to walk because I wore a black tank top and khaki shorts (hence, not ALL black). After graduation, I remember feeling so full and free and like I had accomplished so much and like I was big stuff. And as Nathan and I went to these graduation ceremonies, man, I know it must be something about this time in life, because that is what it is all about...being big stuff, all grown up, top of the world. Fun, and foolish at the same time. Not every graduate, but many I'm sure.
I am not naive, I know kids party. I'll never really understand why, because I just never felt that pull or pressure to do so. I did go to parties with my close group of friends (many of whom didn't drink either), but chose to go just to hang out, and make fun of others who got drunk (totally lame, I know). But, after working with addicts for several years, after working with teens who have major denial about their dependence on substances, and my grandfather being an alcoholic and my grandmother dying of emphysema, I just have to say, it's not worth it...AT ALL. I know there are kids in our youth group who party. Why? Because it's fun? Because it makes them feel good? Because there's an illusion of control that they have over their lives when they make these decisions? Because they are kids and they're "supposed to"? It's just expected? I don't know. To me, it's kinda like "vappin on an E-cig", you're just dumb, you look dumb, it's dumb. But enough of that.  What else is dumb are parents who are trying to be cool telling their kids it's okay if they drink as long as it's at their house, while their parents can supervise. Parents...you're dumb. Way to try to be cool and be your kids' friends, but you aren't their friends, you are their parents and you are only enabling and encouraging your kids to drink more so congratulations. Nor are you presenting godliness to your children or insisting in them doing what's right. Maybe it's just more important for you to "be cool" and permissive. (I don't even need to state my opinion on this).
But I digress. This is indeed a special, fun, unique time in life. This end of high school and moving on to other things, like responsibility and independence. It's kind of a critical time in one's life, a time of "finding yourself", "striking out on your own", "making a difference in this world", "ending one chapter to begin another." And seriously, so much happens in the 10 or so years following graduation! So much!  "The possibilities are endless." But if I have learned anything these past 14 years since my own 1999 graduation and the Y2K scare (ha!), it's that Jesus is the only reason I live. I'm just more and more convinced that Jesus is the only one worth living for, and you can't live for someone half-heartedly, like only when it's convenient. Jesus' call to die is also a call to live. If I were going to talk to my 18 year old self again, I'd have quite a few things to say, but mostly I would say "know Jesus, live for Him, love Him only, and seek to love others."
The summer interns, Nathan, and I am reading Follow Me by David Platt this summer. And in the first chapter, a couple paragraphs sum up what I'm trying to articulate pretty well:
And as Christ begins to live in us, everything begins to change about us. Our minds change. For the first time, we realize who God is, what Jesus has done, and how much we need him. Our desires change. The things of this earth that we once loved we now hate, and the things of God that we once hated we now love. Our wills change. We go wherever Jesus says, we give whatever Jesus commands, and we sacrifice whatever it costs to spend our lives in uncompromising obedience to his Word. Our relationships change. We lay our lives down in love for one another in the church as together we spread the gospel to the world.
Ultimately, our reason for living changes. Possessions and position are no longer our priorities. Comfort and security are no longer our concerns. Safety is no longer our goal because self is no longer our god. We now want God's glory more than we want our own lives. the more we glorify him, the more we enjoy him and the more we realize that this is what it means biblically to be a Christian.

So, yes, reflecting on my past has been fun. I have no regrets, and I'm grateful for all that I have experienced, but even now, it's time to look forward with a renewed mind. I am glad I'm 32 and Lord willing have many more years to go, because I want to use this life for Him more and more. I do not want comfort or security, I want God to be glorified and Jesus to be lifted up.
We have a quote on our door that leads to the garage that I think sums up what I would say at any graduation ceremony: "Only one life twill soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last."May I live my life in this truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment