Nathan and I went to a conference about a month ago and they had a few contests throughout the weekend involving social media. Like if you posted the most "tweets" over the course of the weekend you won some grand prize,(so I downloaded Twitter, and have since deleted it and "tweeted" my little fingers off). There was one mini-contest on one of the days, something like whomever asked the best question on Twitter to one of the speakers would get a $50 iTunes gift-card. anddddddd.......I WON! (not sure who else might have asked questions, so they might not have had a lot to chose from, but regardless...) So, I have had fun purchasing new music. It pays to ask good questions (or to ask questions at all I suppose)!
Here is my top music list as of recently, as we head into summer. My kids and I jam to this goodness daily.
1. John Mark McMillian: Borderland which has this song on it---Future/Past. Granted, one of the songs has some saxophone going on, which is my least favorite instrument, but it's quality music none-the-less. I respect and love and appreciate thoughtful, meaningful, good lyrics and music. John Mark does not disappoint!
2. Switchfoot: Fading West which has this song on it---Love Alone. So, good. Love alone is worth the fight. I bet this song confuses my son who is such a fighter (vs. a "flighter). I mean, I coached him on why he cannot run off from me at the store, "because there are some people that would try to take you and would be mean and might even hurt you." (I'm not a fan of scare tactics, but he has to know the reality as well, right?) His response? "I will fight them, I am strong and will get away." Anyway, great music. And, yes, love alone IS worth the fight. Fun and catchy, but not pop-py, and another win by Switchfoot all around!
3. Josh Garrels: Love & War & The Sea In Between. I mean, how am I just hearing about this guy? Very thoughtful lyrics, really beautiful music, totally creative and artistic and just GOOD. I can't stop listening to it. Especially, this song: Father Along!
4. Gungor: I Am Mountain. Ok, I think perhaps Gungor (maybe Michael) has been doing some soul searching, but the music is still, as always, beautiful with full and perfectly thoughtful lyrics (see a theme? I appreciate the thoughtfulness. I am so over "Christian" music stations which is often full of nicely rhyming cliches more than depth---in my humble opinion). The first song-I Am Mountain- first caught my attention on a Relevant playlist. It's just, just, great. (This is why I don't ever review things because I would just say a lot of the same things: great, awesome, good...thoughtful...or not). But thank you Gungor for another excellent album.
5. And last but never least, All Sons & Daughers: self-titled album released in April. It's gonna be great I'm sure, but haven't listened to it yet, just purchased it. I was in a major AS&D groove there for a few months, so it will be good to get some new music from them in my ears. Can't wait!
Thank you CityTeam for the giftcard. I am grateful for good (thoughtful) music! My kids are too, I'm sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment